1. Start everyday with a warm lemon water. For me its not only delicious, but it delays my first coffee until after breakfast. Of course it is also packed with vitamin C which will boost your immune system and starting the day with water is always a great idea to begin rehydrating after a night of rest.
2. Get 7-8 hours of sleep per night. I know its super tempting to cuddle up on the couch for winter and this might just be a good idea as your body rejuvenates and strengthens itself when its rests!
3. Make vegetables and fruit your friend! Vegetables and fruit are packed full of vitamin C which help to strengthen our immune system. Apart from fighting infections vitamin C works as an antioxidant to protect our body from damage, is involved in the growth of tendons, bones and ligaments and also increases our absorption of iron. Aim to get a range of different colours each day.
4. Soak up the last of the sun! Vitamin D plays a crucial role in supporting our immune system. The best way to improve our vitamin D levels is to get around 30mins of sunlight a day (but not when it is at its highest!)
5. Say hello to the friendly bacteria. I have written about this before, but our gut houses a whopping 80% of our immune system. Therefore keeping a healthy and happy gut is incredibly important. So while we can take supplements (preferably one that contains different bacteria and refrigerated!), there are lots of whole and fermented foods that are great sources of probiotics such as fermented miso, sauerkaurt, kimchi, kombucha, yoghurt, and kefir.
If you would like help with meal ideas and plans , contact NZ Registered Nutritionist Larissa Beeby for your own nutrition consultation either online, in person or over the phone.
Director / NZ Registered Nutritionist