I think Summer is one of the easiest seasons to pick healthy choices for snacks. With the abundance of delicious vegetables and fruit in season making it easy to grab snacks based on these. In NZ over the next few months we have berries, stone fruit, asparagus, tomatoes, and avocados all coming into season.
Here are my top snacks for this summer:
1. Homemade Guacamole: I pack this with as much as possible – avocado (of course), red onion, coriander, tomatoes, chilli, lemon and lime and lots of salt and pepper! It’s best served with some vegetable sticks.
2. Fresh Berries: I love nothing more than getting my hands on a punnet of fresh raspberries and sitting in the sun eating them! Add some natural greek yoghurt or a couple of natural nuts for some protein and good fats and you have the perfect snack!
3. Stone fruit and Melons: Again go nuts and make the most of them while we can access them!
4. Pesto: I always make sure I plant HEAPS of basil to make our own pesto each year. Nothing beats whipping up a fresh batch and sitting down with some seed crackers and cheese! I always make sure I make extra each year to freeze to get us through winter.
5. Beetroot Brownie: What better way to honour the in-season beetroot than to put it into a brownie! Check back soon for the recipe on the blog!
If you would like help with meal ideas and plans , contact NZ Registered Nutritionist Larissa Beeby for your own nutrition consultation either online, in person or over the phone.
Director / NZ Registered Nutritionist