So you probably read the heading and are now saying in your head ” What!, is she crazy! You just boil the jug and pour the water into your cup and tea bag!” but I beg to differ here! And a little disclaimer, as most avid tea drinkers will have their own way they like their cuppa but here is what I like to do.
– Make sure the teapot/cup is clean.
– Start with both a preheated pot and also cup. Filling them both with hot tap water is fine.
– Always use fresh cold water in the jug (not the hot tap in this case!), and let the tap run for a few seconds to ensure its super cold and also aerated which will help to release the full flavour of the tea leaves.
– Tea loves oxygen. Don’t let the water boil for too long as it will boil away the flavour-releasing oxygen. Just remember for green tea you need to have the water just below boiling.
– Pour boiling water over the tea leaves or bag.
– Brew for 3-5 minutes, many packs will tell you the best brewing time for the tea.
If you would like help with meal ideas and plans , contact NZ Registered Nutritionist Larissa Beeby for your own nutrition consultation either online, in person or over the phone.
Director / NZ Registered Nutritionist