Kefir is a fermented drinking yoghurt which is packed full of healthy yeast and bacteria which is great for your gut health. Funnily enough kefir actually means ‘feel good’ in Turkish. It was traditionally made with sheep, cow or goats milk however you can also make non-dairy versions using coconut or nut milk. All you need is the milk, the kefir grains which can be found out most health stores. ( I got mine from Ceres Organics), and to be patient for 12-48hours!
Its great on its own, on muesli or in smoothies.
- 1-2 Tbsp kefir grains
- 1 cup of milk of your choice
- Pop the kefir grains into a glass jar then add the milk.
- Cover the jar with a clean cheesecloth and secure with an elastic band/string.
- Place in a warm spot for 12-48 hours depending on how strong you like the flavour and how thick you like it.
- When its ready, simply strain the grains and use in your next batch or store in the fridge for up to one week.
If you would like help with meal ideas and plans , contact NZ Registered Nutritionist Larissa Beeby for your own nutrition consultation either online, in person or over the phone.
Director / NZ Registered Nutritionist