- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 4 organic tea bags (black & green)
- 1 cup of kombucha (either from a previous batch or store brought organic, and unflavoured)
- 1 scoby
- Place 1.75L of water in a pot and bring to the boil. Remove from the heat and add the sugar. Stir to dissolve.
- Pop in the teabags and leave to steep for around 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile sterilise a large glass jar or ceramic bowl with boiling water.
- Remove the teabags and pour into the jar/bowl.
- Leave to cool to its lukewarm.
- Add the kombucha and scoby.
- Cover with a clean cheesecloth or teatowel and leave to sit at room temperature for 7-10 days. ( In winter pop on top of the fridge!)
- After 7 days taste the kombucha. You are after a good balance between sweet and sour with a little fizz.
- At this point you can leave to ferment for longer, add som fresh fruit or spice to flavour or bottle it as is.
- Remember to remove the scoby with clean hands. You will now have two as a ‘baby’ would have formed on your original. You can gift this to a friend!
- To preserve the scoby pop it into a glass container with some kombucha.
If you would like help with meal ideas and plans , contact NZ Registered Nutritionist Larissa Beeby for your own nutrition consultation either online, in person or over the phone.
Director / NZ Registered Nutritionist