While I was in hospital I decided to get back into daily mediation. This is something I have dabbled with in the past and have really enjoyed it. The benefits of mediation are endless…..helping with stress, focusing on the present, increasing self-awareness, reducing negative emotions, decreases muscle tension….
I recommend everyone to set themselves a challenge and give it a go. Even if its just 3 minutes a day.
So here are my tips
1. Accept that your meditation space doesn’t have to be quiet. I often mediate on the way to work in the car. Plus its a great skill to master. Once you have mastered the commute you can do it anywhere!
2. Be flexible about the time of the day you meditate. While morning is optimal, some days it may be lunch time or the afternoon that works best.
3. Be creative. Try meditating at the beach, in the park, at home, at work. You will get great satisfaction knowing you can mediate anywhere.
4. Expect the unexpected. Be prepared for unexpected thoughts to arise. Keep calm in the mind and breathe them away.
5. Be kind to yourself. Mastering your own meditation takes time. Be kind. Be patient. Be grateful.